Thursday, October 22, 2009

To Tri or not to Tri .....


The 1st leg of the race: a 1/4 mile swim in Lake Lopez



So earlier this month I competed in my 2nd Triathlon since labor, Scott Tinley's Triathlon at Lake Lopez. I was highly debating if I should continue doing these races. I have less and less time to devote to training and when push comes to shove all I really want to do is mountain bike. I only compete in races that have mountain biking courses (which are few and far between) so why don't I just start mountain bike racing and ditch this tri crap? I was debating this question as I started my early morning drive to my race. Martin and the kids didn't make this one because well ... frankly ... it's a lot of work just so I can hear "Go Mommy" at 3 different points in the race.


I competed in the sprint distance: 1/4mi swim, 12mi bike & 3mi run. I was sure I had stumbled in enough places during the swim and transition to write the race off. After passing a good chunk of people during the bike I started to feel pretty good about myself until I was re-passed during the run. I wasn't even going to bother to get my official results until a girl I had been leapfrogging with during the race convinced me that I had done well enough to check it out.

Well, surprise surprise .... I got 2nd place in my class (Females 30-34) and 10th place overall (Female competitors). It was a totally small race (8 in my class and 32 females) but it was enough to make me totally ditch the idea of not racing anymore. I stayed for the awards ceremony because realistically, when am I ever going to get to stand on a podium again?!?!

Now I'm busy trying to convince Martin to sign up for Wildflower with me in December. Now if I can just place at that one .....

No comments: