Monday, June 2, 2008

I Do! I mean...We Did! What I mean to say is...We Still Do!

On June 1st, 2002 Martin and I promised to eachother the following...

Today, I join my life to yours.
From this day on, I will be your partner and companion,
for you are my dearest love and my best friend.
I look forward to the joy we will find in each other's separate successes,
as well as our shared ones.
And welcome the challenge of whatever obstacles we encounter,
for I know that whatever we face, we face it together.
Because your happiness is vital to me,
I will strive to be more fully myself.
Because you deserve no less than the best of me.
I pledge that I will listen to you when you speak,
Encourage you in times of doubt,
Comfort you in times of sorrow,
And be a refuge of strength for you in times of uncertainty.
I will be faithful to you all of my days,
Will always be honest with you,
And will cherish and adore you every moment of my life.
This is my solemn vow.

We have recently had quite a few sad reminders of how fragile marriage can really be. And to be truthful, I've had to go back and read the vows and commitments we made to each a couple of times in the past 6 years; sometimes out of nostalgia but sometimes out of resolve. I love every hurdle, every tear, every laugh and every passionate outburst that has brought us to what we have today. Love is so much more than I ever thought possible.

No comments: