Monday, October 13, 2008

Bee's Bite

Today is Columbus day, despite all the differing views on whether or not Columbus should be celebrated, I am grateful that my hubby had the day off today. He got a chance to take Nolan to his swim lessons and see all the progress our little polywog has made. I saw my chance to go on a bike ride out to Avila Beach in the middle of the day when the sun is shining, the cars are few and the wind is almost non-existent.

I'm on my mtn bike and staring at my skinny tires, they look so foreign on my bike. I'm wondering ... How fast can I go and for how long? My cat eye is reading 16 miles per hour so I up my gears...17 mph...up it again 18mph, 19mph. The adrenaline is kicking in and I'm starting to warm up. I have just turned on HWY 1 and start thinking about some of the hills I'm going to be tackling coming out of downtown Pismo Beach. BAM! That's when it happened. Somehow a bee made it past my ever growing pregnancy boobs and straight down my shirt. It got trapped when it hit my belly and decided to sting it's way out of my shirt. It's been about 15 years since I last got stung but I still know a bee sting when I feel it.

As a kid I got stung at least once a summer and probably twice every year. The bees loved me! My whole family would be walking out to the car and the bee would follow me and sting me for no good reason. My mom says that word got out among the bee community that I liked to raid the honey jar. Either way, my reaction to bee stings became increasingly worse and worse. Swelling does not describe what would happen to me ... ballooning would be more accurate. The last time I got stung I had stepped on a bee and my foot was approaching elephant size when we went to the doctor. The doctor warned us that my hyper-sensitivity was becoming increasingly worse with each sting and that we may want to look into carrying one of those scary shots around with me at all times. That was enough to scare me into staying away from the bright yellow slip and slide and raiding my sisters oh so cool United Colors of Benetton perfume. It must have worked because I stopped getting stung and instead of carrying a shot around I just carried two Benadryl tablets with me in every bag I own.

Gratefully, I had my phone with me and OBGYN on speed dial. I called and told them my predicament and asked if I could take the Benadryl that was stashed in my CamelBak. They said it was safe to take and to ice the sting. I was really freaked out at first since I wasn't sure how my body would react to the sting. I can't believe it, my body is reacting like a normal person got stung. It's just like a little bug bite. I don't think my body has ever reacted this normal in my whole life, I am so relieved! I'm still mad at the dumb bee, though. What kind of bee stings a pregnant lady in the belly. Evil Bee!

No comments: