Friday, February 1, 2008

Waiting for Baby Makena



My sister-in-law is due with her first baby - a little girl named Makena - sometime mid-February. We are all so excited and can't wait! This last weekend we threw her a baby shower at our mother-in-law's house in Newbury Park. When I was pregnant I vowed that I would not subject myself or my baby to obnoxious amounts of pink if I was having a girl. Nonetheless, I just couldn't seem to resist the pink when it came to Noelle's shower. The invites were pink on pink poka dots. The color scheme was brown and pink poka dots. Even the booties, bibs and socks that we hung from a clothesline for decoration were pink. Did I mention the pink strawberrry lemonade? I did manage to resist wearing my brown dress with the pink poka dots for fear of looking like an absolute lunatic.
Everyone seemed to have a good time and Noelle scored some very cool gifts and lots of diapers. I tried to curb the labor horror stories the best I could until at the very end of the party I suddenly I hear my dear husband saying something to the extent of, "and then after 12 hours of this horrible pain Michelle was only dialated 2 centimeters." I love him dearly, but this is a man who regularly tells pregnant women, "you're HUGE, are you sure you're not due tomorrow?". Think I'm kidding, just ask our neighbors ... I think all of the women got a comment or two like this. Honestly, I don't know what I would have done without him that day. He slaved away in the kitchen the whole day skewering and cooking the meat, warming the appetizers, brewing coffee. I was ready to remarry the man after that party!

No comments: