Friday, May 9, 2008

....And We All Fall Down

For those of you that have known me since I was a kid, you all know that "graceful" is not a word that anyone would have used to describe me. On any given day you could hear me crying and my mom asking, "Did that wall jump out and hit you again?" Well, now I'm raising a toddler and let me tell you, the combo of my genes and Nolan's oblivion to Newton's Law is just bad, bad, bad!

Saturday: Wildflower Race Bike Crash (after 1 week of healing)




Tuesday:

Nolan went to get his haircut at the new Cut Hut that is the Mecca for children's haircuts. Tons of toys, distractions and very patient hairdressers. Nolan was happily playing in the bounce house when he decided he was all done and walked straight out (crawling out would have been the prefered method at his size) and fell straight on his mouth.


With blood pooling in his mouth, he cried and proceeded to smear it all over his face. Off to the dentist we went! I don't know if it was all the blood, the swollen gums, the swollen lip or something much worse but it seemed as though his teeth were bigger...or at least more teeth showing.... before the fall than after. I kept wondering, "Is it possible that he fell so hard that he pushed some of his teeth back up into his gums?"


Dr. Lacey (my dentist) was incredible. Even though it was the middle of lunch hour (and does not treat kids) he promptly had Nolan lie in his chair and checked his teeth. The simple answer to my previous question was, "Yes, he may have pushed his teeth back up into his gums". Dr. Lacey reassured me that they will come back out though. Although, depending on the amount of trauma they received we have three scenarios to be on the lookout for over the next 6 MONTHS!! :

  1. The fall wasn't that bad and the teeth will be just fine.
  2. The traumatized teeth may turn gray and my poor hillbilly son will have gray teeth until his permanent ones come in.
  3. Sometimes the gray teeth will abcess and need to be pulled. In that case, he will just not have front teeth until he is 7

Keep your fingers crossed for scenario #1


Thursday:

I could just leave it at that and everyone would assume that his scraped up nose is associated with his bounce house fall. But alas, it's been 20+ years now that I have known that deception by ommission is still good old fashioned lying.

We went to the park and were having a great time. Nolan was swinging in the age appropriate bucket swing but was begging to swing in the big kid swing. Daddy does it with him all the time...hmmm....why not?! I plunk him on his tummy and keep my hand on his back while he swings. We come to a stop and I'm dying to get a look at the cute little face that has been squealing with glee and ... PLOP .... off the swing he goes, nose first into the sand.

Hard to see the scraped up nose in the picture but it's there. Lot's of people keep trying to wipe it and then they realize, it's a boo-boo.

No comments: