Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mom describes Mother's Day as "a little traumatic".



Well I had my mom dragged through dog shit for Mother's Day. What did you do for your mom?

It was Mother's Day morning and the sun was shining and the birds were singing, a perfect day for a hike up Irish Hills. In the spirit of Mother's Day we went as one big happy family: Mom, Dad, Martin, Me, Nolan and Baby Gigi and of course our two darling dogs Scout and Cody. We wanted to get an early start to avoid the heat so at 9 a.m my parents told us they were coming RIGHT OVER. Two hours later, we had readied ourselves, a newborn, a toddler and two dogs and were now starting to clean the house. Finally Grandma and Grandpa show up and we're off to hike.

Once we got to the trail head Martin and I stood there arguing over what we were bringing on the hike, how we were bringing it and who would be carrying what. We realize that we have no sunscreen with us despite my obsessive compulsive questioning,"Do we have sunscreen with us?" So I'm just a wee bit annoyed as I zoom off to the store to buy a bottle. When I return to the trail head, Nolan is lathered in sunscreen (it was with us the whole time), Martin has repacked our bags his way and my parents are starting up the trail with Nolan and the dogs. I am not the happiest hiker at this point but I'm trying to keep a good attitude. As I'm strapping Gabby to my chest for the hike I hear chaotic shouting coming from up the trail and Nolan crying. Martin and I take off running.

Scout, our German Shepherd, had squatted to take a dump at the same time that Cody, our Siberian Husky, wriggled out of his collar and took off running for the hills. Scout lunged after him and practically pulled my mom's arm out of the socket. Scout took off after Cody and brought my mom to the ground dragging her through the steaming pile of poo! My poor mom held on and never let Scout go. Her arm was bleeding, her pants and arm covered in poo and she stunk. Nolan was crying at seeing Grandma on the ground and then once my mom recovered Nolan started crying for his BFF Cody. Shockingly, Cody returned when he realized no one was after him and everyone was more interested in using anti-bacterial wipes to clean the crap out of my mom's bleeding forearm.

Although this was the highlight of the day, it was by no means the end what turned out to be a runaway freight train of traumatic events for my mom. From there we loaded my mom's car with the kids and proceeded to forget to buckle Nolan into his car seat for at least 20 miles of driving. We got laughed out of every restaurant we attempted to ask for a table for 6 ... no reservations. And finally, when we went for a swim at the Avila Bay Club my mom was playing with Nolan in the pool and as he walked along the edge of the pool he slipped off the edge and into the deep end. She dived in after him and got him over to the stairs. I knew Nolan was just fine so I rushed over and asked her how SHE was doing. Her response was, "I'm fine, today has just been a little traumatic."

Happy Mother's Day Mom.

No comments: